Tuesday, July 03, 2007

you're so kiasu

*yawn* tell me something new

i must say that the term "kiasu" is so overly used that it kinduv loses its meaning. a couple of weeks back just before my term exams (days when i'm high on red bull) i decided to take one day leave to study. the topic supply chain management is definitely a hard one and more time was definitely needed to crash course the chapters. seriously, interning while taking two modules is a bitch.

i was joking to my boss (come to think of it, it wasn't much of a joke since it was pretty much the truth!) that i've been losing a lot of sleep for the past few days. she told me that mba students don't need to study as much since the chance of failing is very small. i honestly told her that passing is rather easy however getting good grades will not be that simple and since my CV has very little experience compared to the rest i should bulk it up with better grades. (i mean that's the least i can do right?)

then she told me right on my face, "hey, you're so kiasu"

well there were a few immediate replies playing in my head, "aw shaddap" and "HUH?" were among that topped my list but i opted for a loud "HAHAHA..." *ahem* don't ask me why.

anyways, maybe it is me? but i don't see preparing as a negative issue. yes, in the sense i'm not denying that i have my worries about MY grades comparatively to others. but ultimately it's my grade that matters and not others. and it's not that i'm all out telling lies to everyone about the chapters coming out or something?

grab as much as you can because you have the chance to do so. is that so wrong? the term "kiasu" that has a certain negative connotation to it should have a more positive flavour. in fact the government should do a kiasu campaign. they've done water conservation, courtesy and even smiling campaign. for a change, maybe they should do a kiasu campaign.

the way i see it, the word "kiasu" has experienced a shift of definition. i don't know about you, the next time someone calls me kiasu? i'll thank them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home