Thursday, January 18, 2007

a letter of apology

heard of the song "sorry seems to be the hardest word" before? sorry *pun intended* but i don't think i feel the same sentiment with the song. it is probably one of the most abused words actually in my opinion. we tend to say sorry even when we do not mean it, it is just a word to close the lid. there was an incident last week which i triger me in writing this entry, a friend easily said the s word after doing something i consider quite selfish. well the incident itself was pretty minor i think but what surprises me was the way he said it. don't get me wrong, it's not that i was hoping that he dropped on his knees and start imploring for an apology but won't it be better not to say it at all?

this is a reasonably subjective topic, differs for every individuals i suppose. there are some who will demand a somewhat apology and when not fulfilled would go into the whole "didn't even have the courtesy to apologize" but seriously, why do it if you don't mean it. actually i am also guilty at charged i say that alot every time i'm late *which ahem... can be quite often* does that "sorry" mean "i feel bad about it and won't let it happen again the next time around" or is it a "yikez, don't get mad at me, i'll TRY my best the next time around maybe?"

but then again i have this other incident where my friend was supposed to come and help me with some paper formalities. he promised me long way before that he'd give a hand and this is quite an important matter although not much on his part apparently. during the day my friend didn't come nor inform me about it, when i tried calling his mobile phone it wasn't answered. i must say i was pretty annoyed with my friend whom i considered quite irresponsible but actually we have known each other for more than a decade so these kind of things can be resolved with just a word of "sorry". knowing him, i think he feels guilty about it and to avoid conflict he decides not to confront me about it. it's quite a pity if you ask me about the friendship.

maybe as i conclude the insincere apologies are easy to say but the much needed ones are somewhat a mouthful to say. how ironic. let's try to position ourselves better and think if we do need to say the word. if we do, let's not hesitate to come up and elaborate our situation but if we don't, then let's refrain from saying it at all. the song should be "sorry seems to be the hardest word sometimes" but it kind of lose it's catchy title doesn't it. sor.. *ahem* i mean that's interesting :D har har..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home